In collaboration with several industry alliances, ON World recently completed a survey with leading WSN equipment/device manufacturers, service providers, software developers, systems integrators, component suppliers and end users.
Participants include members of the Bluetooth SIG, CABA, Continua Health Alliance, EnOcean Alliance, IPSO Alliance, ZigBee Alliance and Z-Wave Alliance.
A few of the key findings were:
- The smart home is currently targeted by nearly two thirds of the respondents.
- Energy management and lighting are the most commonly targeted current WSN application areas.
- 43% are planning WSN solutions for health and fitness
- Likely high growth markets include personal / lifestyle sensors, home and building controls, and smart city applications such as traffic sensing and parking management.
- Nearly half of the respondents are using ZigBee followed by WiFi, 6LoWPAN and Bluetooth Low Energy (Bluetooth Smart).
- Data reliability, equipment costs and battery lifetime are the top three most important WSN adoption considerations.
- Energy harvesting is ranked as one of the top five most important WSN innovation areas and 40% of the respondents have at least tested energy harvesting.